Solo travelling is still a very debatable topic, whether one should opt for solo travelling or group. In fact, while travelling in a group is, in general, an accepted idea, the idea of travelling solo does not go down that well with many people.
But then again, with the changing times, people are again understanding the many advantages of travelling alone (‘again’ because people used to travel solo, a lot, in olden times). The freedom, the experience, the feel, the adrenaline, the bursts of uncaged emotions etc. are a few things why travelling solo was, and will always be, there!
So, as people are getting sick of their daily monotonous routine and are wanting to find deeper answers and the meaning of things (including life), the number of solo travellers is increasing. While most of the firsts are good, something or the other stops us from getting free of petty issues like discomfort due to packing, lack of resources due to negligence etc.
This article is an attempt to help the first timers rectify this exact problem and make it great! Even if you aren’t a first timer, read on, for who knows which knowledge point might come in handy and where!
1) Packing Right: One of the biggest challenges for a traveller is packing the right way. But, what is the right way? Well, for starters, carry as less as possible because, first of all, you are going to travel alone and thus no one can help you at any point with your luggage, and secondly, while you’d have the enthusiasm of a kid in the beginning, you’d be tired to death by the end. But this doesn’t necessarily mean you need to leave things. For example, rolling instead of folding and carrying an all-in-one shoe instead of 5 different pairs help you carry all in less space. Also, always carry a double strap backpack irrespective of the kind of luggage.
P.S.: Make sure the wheels on your luggage are working fine and, if possible, carry a hardsided suitcase (makes life easier!).
2) Proper research: Researching not only makes things safer and easier, it also makes things more enjoyable and fulfilling and worth it. Start by making a list of the things you need to pack and the things you need to do at your travel destination. Try to get in touch with people who either travel alone or have been to the place you are to visit. Going over the prices while doing your research can save you quite a few bucks on booking, travel fare, etc. Try making all the bookings in advance.
3) Electrical & Electronics: Electronics is going to be a really important part of the travel. Keep photos or soft copies of all your bookings in your phone as well as email. Make sure you have stored all the emergency numbers as favourites in order to take the least time to dial if need be. Make sure you have installed maps of the place you are to visit and keep tracking yourself if need be. Keep a fully charged Power bank (of at least 10000 mAh) at your disposal at all times. Also, make sure you have all the required wires with you and that too in good condition. You don’t want any electronic item ditching you in the middle of the trip. Apart from this, always carry extra AA/AAA batteries for the electrical items that you carry.
4) Essentials: While every item is essential, there are a few items that should be at your disposal at all times apart from your gadgets and a few items that you need to keep safe.
a. Money: Always carry a little extra cash and keep it separate from your main cash, but safely.
b. Medicines: Always carry a fully prepped up first aid kit with you.
c. Nutritionals: Always carry water and some food on you and especially a packet of glucose.
d. Light: Especially if you are travelling to a rural area, carry a torch with you at all times, especially the ones you can wear like a cap.
5) Interact but Properly: Be open to people around you. Talk to them. In fact, interaction with locals can prove to be of great advantage and an excellent source of knowledge. Also, interaction with new and different people might just gift you a broader perspective. Having said that, understand when to say no and be firm. Don’t let yourself be used in any way by anyone. Need not be alert, but always be aware!
Another tip. GO NOW!