Have you ever had that urge to just stuff all sorts of spreads and veggies and chips into a sandwich and just hog it down till even the minutest of crumb is visible? Or probably, after watching the movie chef, you might have had the craving for such an amazing, stuffed sandwich?
Well, don’t feel odd if you have because that just makes you a part of the crowd. Sandwiches are one of the most popular food items and for a lot of reasons. Firstly, they can be really simple to make and easy to carry. Secondly, they can be personalized to the very last details. Thirdly, they can be light or extremely filling, depending upon the choices. Fourthly, they are uncannily satisfying. And in so on a manner, there are much more reasons why people just love sandwiches.
But, to really have that connection with a sandwich you need to understand why you just aren’t able to make that pitch-perfect sandwich of your thoughts, and for that, you need to know a few things. Though very obvious if thought of that way, but these are things which most people overlook in their excitement of preparing the sandwich.
1) Know your Ingredients: The first thing to acknowledge is the type of filling you are going to provide to your sandwich. Though you can improvise later on, a few basic ingredients should be in your mind before you start because not everything goes with everything. Not only that, the texture and moisture content of your ingredients is a big deal because, if not taken care of, it can destroy the final texture of sandwich by making it too dry or too soggy (in case of high moisture content, you can use a basic mayonnaise or butter spread as a coating for the bread). Not only this, knowing about your ingredients also gives you an idea about how you are going to stuff your sandwich and this allows more effective experimentation.
2) Choose the Right Bread: Choosing the right bread is probably one of the most important steps of making a sandwich! The texture, taste and built of the bread contribute a lot to the feel, the taste and the essence of the sandwich. If you choose the wrong bread, not only can your sandwich end up falling apart, it might even taste unnecessarily sour or feel extremely dry. So, just read a little about the various types and you might do just fine!
3) Chilled & Fresh Veggies: For most of the sandwiches, some or the other sort of veggie is a must, be it a tomato or some cabbage etc. But, one should be really professional when using these vegetables. First of all, the vegetables should be fresh, because anything otherwise might not only hamper your health but will also completely ruin the taste of the sandwich. Secondly, all veggies should be thoroughly washed (at least) before being used in a sandwich, as washing gives an improved freshness which enhances the taste of the sandwich. Finally, most of the vegetables should be chilled before being used. Not only does this make sure that your sandwich doesn’t absorb too much moisture, it also contributes to the freshness and texture of the sandwich.
4) Opposites attract: This law of physics holds good even for sandwiches! For example, try adding a crunchy twist to your otherwise soggy sandwich by adding a few wafers or chips or use a very tangy, flavourful and rich dip for an otherwise dry sandwich. Such play of opposites can give a very settling experience. Not only this, the dip that you use can be used in many ways to compliment your sandwich. You can even play opposites with the texture of bread and the filling you use inside, especially when thin-sliced bread is used.
5) Know the optimum temperature: Though heating or toasting a sandwich gives a very warm and filling experience almost all the times, cold sandwiches have a world of their own! Know whether your sandwich will taste better when cold or when toasted. Cold sandwiches are famous for the long aftertaste and rough-chewy feel while hot sandwiches are great for melting, filling stuffing like cheese or honey and crispy feel.
Even though this is a guide for you to make a sandwich in a better way, a sandwich has a very private connection with the person consuming it. So, just think from your heart and keep these points in your brain!