Pondy, an abbreviation for Pondicherry (or Puducherry), is one of the coolest places in India and is THE place to just chill out at. Be it the peace, the beauty, the people (!), the beaches, the architecture, the ashrams and what not, Pondy seems to have just the formula to make you feel calm and relaxed. Almost on the verge of becoming the next big students’ destination after Goa, Pondy attracts youth from all over India. But let this not fool you into believing that this is a hipster place, Pondy serves and caters to the need and want of everyone!
But, for everyone who’s been here or is about to, there will be one thing in common for sure. By the evening of the last day of the trip, you will be exhausted like anything, you know, just waiting for a bed to fall on. Trust me, at that point, you’ve had the cake but not the cherry on top. After repeated visits to Pondy, with all ending in a different way, one thing is for sure. To have that cherry on top, your trip really should end with a visit to Café Xtasi!
Here’s why (especially if you haven’t even been to Xtasi!).
1) The Ambience: Be it the perfect lighting or the atmosphere inside or the décor of the place, everything seems to be combined together in such a way that you just come here to actually ‘talk’. You naturally start feeling a little laid back with the lighting and the excellent music in the background ranging from romantic Bollywood to English singles and more. Plus, the set-up of the place is perfectly done, so you really aren’t bothered by external factors. Also, do you know the feeling of being happy from within and being connected to something special? That is what you feel here with the right company (and after a few beverages!).
P.S.: The place is as clean as a whistle!
2) The Staff and Service: Without this, probably you wouldn’t have half the experience you can actually have here! The staff is just amazing. They’re courteous, respectful and dedicated professionals and, at the same time, they are just the right amount of friendly too! Not only this, they are there to help you in case you need any sort of assistance. Ten on ten!
3) The Food (& Beverages!): Another point which makes a huge difference on the impact of a café, especially if it is your final destination when on a trip. Well, keep your expectations high because the food is just amazing! Though it is famous for the mouth-watering and soul-satisfying pizzas, it does have a good variety in its venue and those dishes are worth it too! The best part is the availability of chilled beverages (you know what I mean!). So while you enjoy the convo (or the silence, as you like it), dig deep and satisfy your soul.
4) The Crowd: The perfect crowd! With people from every age group, the first thing that happens is you don’t feel singled out. The second thing is, even if you are the odd one out in any way, you wouldn’t feel it because the crowd is in the least bothered. You don’t find any judging aunties or prying uncles. Everyone seems to mind and enjoy their own business!
5) The Experience: Though a bit hard on your pocket, Café Xtasi seems to give you the perfect experience, an experience you will be fond of whenever you remember it. You feel extremely relaxed and peaceful, happy, engaged and content. Thus, your memory of Café Xtasi is the perfect reminiscent of your trip to Pondy!
Thank me later!
Have you been to somewhere interesting, why not share the experience here!
The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not represent Storified.me, its affiliates or sponsors. Travellers are advised to use their own discretion.